Thursday, July 28, 2005
There are actually people out there who want a used (VERY used) white Caloric dishwasher of indeterminate age.
Witness my post yesterday in the Craigslist freebie section, which specified only that Mom's old dishwasher was of mid-'90s vintage, that it was white and that it still worked. Less than 24 hours later, I had six responses, including duplicate e-mailings from a man named Caleb who said he wanted to arrange for a FedEx pickup so he could ship the dishwasher to his uncle in west Africa. I decided this was a scam for various reasons (why did he need MY name and address when I wouldn't be shipping it? who would package the thing? why would you ship a crappy diswasher across the Atlantic?), but mainly because he stuck a "may God bless you abundantly" at the end. You know what that means. He wants my bank account number.
So I decided, pretty arbitrarily, to let a guy name Richard have it. His e-mail was SURFER8210, so I figured it would be a young guy, but when I called him, he sounded like he was in his 60s. He was actually willing to drive from somewhere in Nassau County and fetch it from the curb in front of Mom's house. So now I feel I have done a good deed for a senior citizen by letting him have this dishwasher, even though it was Leon who uninstalled it, dragged it down the steps and into the garage and then out to the curb (with a baby in tow).
Witness my post yesterday in the Craigslist freebie section, which specified only that Mom's old dishwasher was of mid-'90s vintage, that it was white and that it still worked. Less than 24 hours later, I had six responses, including duplicate e-mailings from a man named Caleb who said he wanted to arrange for a FedEx pickup so he could ship the dishwasher to his uncle in west Africa. I decided this was a scam for various reasons (why did he need MY name and address when I wouldn't be shipping it? who would package the thing? why would you ship a crappy diswasher across the Atlantic?), but mainly because he stuck a "may God bless you abundantly" at the end. You know what that means. He wants my bank account number.
So I decided, pretty arbitrarily, to let a guy name Richard have it. His e-mail was SURFER8210, so I figured it would be a young guy, but when I called him, he sounded like he was in his 60s. He was actually willing to drive from somewhere in Nassau County and fetch it from the curb in front of Mom's house. So now I feel I have done a good deed for a senior citizen by letting him have this dishwasher, even though it was Leon who uninstalled it, dragged it down the steps and into the garage and then out to the curb (with a baby in tow).
Comments:
<< Home
I even dug through my mother-in-law's papers to recover the installation guide.
May God bless you abundantly!
Post a Comment
May God bless you abundantly!
<< Home
