Wednesday, August 24, 2005
I found a little snake on the road while I was out running today. I’m always happy to see a non-squished animal during my jaunts. Just a couple of weeks ago, a little sparrow plopped into the middle of the road in front of me and did this circular-spinning thing like its head was pinned to the ground, flapping crazily. I thought it might have been stunned, or maybe had an inner-ear infection. So I scooped it up carefully. It’s amazing how still a bird will get when you cup your hands around it. I carried it to the curb because I didn’t want either of us to get squished by a car, and then the bird just wriggled out of my hands and winged away, and just like that it was gone. And I was relieved I wasn’t going to have to stick it in my jog bra and carry it home and then sit down with the phone book and find a wild-bird rehabilitator.
But this snake today wasn’t in such good shape. It looked like a little garter snake, maybe a foot or so long, and it was wriggling in a slow way that made me think it was sick. And one of its eyes was bulging a little bit, like it had had a snake stroke, or been pecked at by a bird. I tried to pick it up with a stick, because lots of stupid people have been bit by snakes when they pick them up, but then I realized this snake wasn’t going to go after me, so I grabbed it by its tail and deposited it in some nearby woods. Then I felt guilty for not putting it in a nicer place, perhaps a nice cool patch of damp lawn. But I’d already jogged on.
We’re so hungry for connection to the natural world.
But this snake today wasn’t in such good shape. It looked like a little garter snake, maybe a foot or so long, and it was wriggling in a slow way that made me think it was sick. And one of its eyes was bulging a little bit, like it had had a snake stroke, or been pecked at by a bird. I tried to pick it up with a stick, because lots of stupid people have been bit by snakes when they pick them up, but then I realized this snake wasn’t going to go after me, so I grabbed it by its tail and deposited it in some nearby woods. Then I felt guilty for not putting it in a nicer place, perhaps a nice cool patch of damp lawn. But I’d already jogged on.
We’re so hungry for connection to the natural world.
Comments:
<< Home
Wow! I have to say that you're so much braver than me, not only daring to touch a snake but actually picking it up. Even if it did have a bugged-out eye. The giant lizard in our back yard is waaaay more than enough reptilian wildlife for me. (Yes, I know, I live in Arizona, I should get over it...)
Post a Comment
<< Home
