Thursday, August 25, 2005

 
Remember that great line in "When Harry Met Sally," when he tells her, "Meet me at the place by the thing where we went that time"? Here's a brief list of places that I, or others I know, have renamed, and whose actual names in some cases have been lost in the mists of time.

The Republican Coffeehouse. This is the coffee shop at the foot of Spring Street in Hallowell, Maine, a few blocks from my sister's house. It used to be the local Republican party headquarters. An out-of-control truck barreled down Spring and smashed through its front window. Then it closed. Its real name is Cobbossee Clayworks and Coffeehouse (I just looked it up on the Internet). But who can remember that? We all know exactly what is meant by "Let's go to the Republican Coffeehouse."

They sell beautiful pottery. And they're now on the second floor, so if a truck hits it again (not out of the question, given how steep Spring is), you probably won't die.

Topless Yogurt. This is the yogurt shop in Hoboken, New Jersey, where my other sister has breastfed. I have no idea what it's actually called.

Our Lady of Prime Real Estate. This is, of course, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church in Centerport, built on an amazing piece of waterfront property. See for yourself. Credit for this goes to my brother-in-law.

Feel free to add your own!

Comments:
I'm afraid I can't top Topless Yogurt.

I grew up, however, down the street from a store called the Franconia Minute Market. For whatever reason, my family - and I believe others on my street - took to calling it The Little Store. (????)
 
Hi I´m Chris. Great page !!! Greatings from Germany Bottrop !!
 
I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot - the only one I can remember is the Park n' Ride lot where your mother got her carpool, and where her and her friends repeatedly saw men cruising around looking for, er, dates. I don't know if it has an official name, but they call it Pickle Park.
Love,
Leon
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
cinnabuster's photos More of cinnabuster's photos