Sunday, September 18, 2005
OK, I am so there with crying it out. I am so pooped with the up-and-down last night that I think I could sleep through the most bloodcurdling howls.
Leon and I successfully finished the Cow Harbor race this morning. Stupidly, I decided to try to enforce the cry-it-out rule (unsuccessfully) last night with our little big man, so we ran this puppy on three and a half hours' sleep. But despite this, we did fine. I ran a 10:38 mile, about what I expected, and Leon ran an 8:22 mile. Last year, there was a torrential downpour and all the runoff for miles around drained right into Main Street like it was Havasu Canyon or something (some kids even got swept away and were rescued by passing runners), but this year, no rain. Just nice, overcast skies, and a lot of humidity.
The fans were great. People came out with their lawn chairs like it was the New York City Marathon, turned on their hoses and sprayed us, and played "Chariots of Fire" and the theme to "Rocky" for us on their boom boxes. A guy ran dressed like Indiana Jones, with a fedora, whip and leather jacket. I wondered if he visualized a giant boulder gaining on him for motivation.
And iIn Northport Park, in addition to the usual chips and sweets, someone was pouring free wine, beer and iced tea. Celestial Seasonings' new "Tropic of Strawberry" flavor = great iced tea!
Leon and I successfully finished the Cow Harbor race this morning. Stupidly, I decided to try to enforce the cry-it-out rule (unsuccessfully) last night with our little big man, so we ran this puppy on three and a half hours' sleep. But despite this, we did fine. I ran a 10:38 mile, about what I expected, and Leon ran an 8:22 mile. Last year, there was a torrential downpour and all the runoff for miles around drained right into Main Street like it was Havasu Canyon or something (some kids even got swept away and were rescued by passing runners), but this year, no rain. Just nice, overcast skies, and a lot of humidity.
The fans were great. People came out with their lawn chairs like it was the New York City Marathon, turned on their hoses and sprayed us, and played "Chariots of Fire" and the theme to "Rocky" for us on their boom boxes. A guy ran dressed like Indiana Jones, with a fedora, whip and leather jacket. I wondered if he visualized a giant boulder gaining on him for motivation.
And iIn Northport Park, in addition to the usual chips and sweets, someone was pouring free wine, beer and iced tea. Celestial Seasonings' new "Tropic of Strawberry" flavor = great iced tea!