Sunday, November 13, 2005
I just called up a short story I hadn't worked on for awhile. It needs an ending, like almost all my other stories, except for one I wrote called "Child's Play," which I've been intermittently submitting to lit mags for the past couple of years. (Come on, Kalliope, A Journal of Women's Literature and Art, published by Florida Community College at Jacksonville. They stock you at the Book Revue, and getting published in you would make my mother so proud.) My creative well has been pretty dry lately, so it seems I should go back finish some of what I've started. Which is why I'm sitting here avoiding working.
The story's working title is "Indian Giver," but that's a terrible title. I don't even know why I called it that. This story, I was startled to see, I actually haven't touched since last December. I think I started writing it the previous December. It has a Christmas theme, and I really like it so far and think it has potential. It's full of bitterness and twisted families, but with a ribbon of hope running through it, and a main character named Starr who's selfish and sarcastic and yet he tries to do the right thing. Putting some kind of ending on it, even a lame one, would be a relief. Then it'll get published in the New Yorker and you all can read it.
The story's working title is "Indian Giver," but that's a terrible title. I don't even know why I called it that. This story, I was startled to see, I actually haven't touched since last December. I think I started writing it the previous December. It has a Christmas theme, and I really like it so far and think it has potential. It's full of bitterness and twisted families, but with a ribbon of hope running through it, and a main character named Starr who's selfish and sarcastic and yet he tries to do the right thing. Putting some kind of ending on it, even a lame one, would be a relief. Then it'll get published in the New Yorker and you all can read it.
Comments:
<< Home
2 requests:
Can I have a copy of Child's Play?
And can you tell me how to add the comment bar under your blog title? (Yours currently reads "Like Putting Chains on Goldfish")
1 comment:
Include a note to each publisher that you have friends and relatives who will sign up for annual subscriptions for anyone who publishes your work. And some of these people probably influence marketing departments who buy ad space, because we all know it's all about the ad space. :-)
Post a Comment
Can I have a copy of Child's Play?
And can you tell me how to add the comment bar under your blog title? (Yours currently reads "Like Putting Chains on Goldfish")
1 comment:
Include a note to each publisher that you have friends and relatives who will sign up for annual subscriptions for anyone who publishes your work. And some of these people probably influence marketing departments who buy ad space, because we all know it's all about the ad space. :-)
<< Home
