Saturday, February 18, 2006

Absolutely fabulous news -- two of my father's paintings were accepted into an art show! He will be in "Intrusion or Intimacy," a show "exploring the concept of openings, holes and (ahem) orifices," at the Rockaway Artists Alliance, which is way the heck out in the furthest reaches of Queens. We haven't had too much success with Manhattan galleries, so I researched Queens galleries and found out about this competition. I sent Dad the entry form and he dutifully filled it out. And they like him! They really like him!
As you recall from my July 23 post (scroll down), my father is a lifelong artist with a burning vision of the forces of the cosmos. It's very cool to be able to get his stuff out there. We have no idea if this will lead to anything, but exposure for an artist is always good, right?
The paintings are cool. Shown is "Portal." I can't show "Garden" because I can't figure out how to un-imbed it from a Word document.
Dad wondered if he could show these paintings unmounted -- as just floppy pieces of canvas taped to the wall. I convinced him this was a bad idea. So he schlepped them off to a framer's, who's charging him $240. But the guy was so taken with the paintings that he told him that he'd hang them in his shop when the show was done. More compliments for Dad = a good thing.