Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 
Just got an e-mail from Voice of the Faithful, the progressive Catholic advocacy group, asking members to weigh in on what their agenda should be for their upcoming national meetings. Here's what I wrote back:

Dear representatives,

I believe we should focus on expanding the role of women in the church. I regret not weighing in on this issue when we were asked about it earlier this year, for I truly believe it is one of the greatest opportunites for reform and one of the most important.

I would like for there to be a serious conversation about women -- about their importance to the church, about the roles they should be playing in the future, and whether previous interpretations of Scripture and church tradition may have been inadequate in assigning women their secondary role in Catholic heirarchy. I would like discussions on allowing women to perform more of the sacraments and about the eventual possibility of ordination.

As a woman who expects to be treated fairly and without discrimination, treated not as a woman but as a human being with the same rights and privileges as any other human being, I often find it difficult to reconcile the Church's line on our subordinate status with how I live the rest of my life.

Societies that keep segments of their population from fully participating are doomed to obsolesence. All members should be allowed to use their gifts and talents to the utmost, without constraint by male-centered interpretations that may be outmoded.

I love the Church for many reasons, not the least of which is its refusal to bend to fleeting social and cultural trends. But I think this examination is long overdue, and much needed.

I applaud VOTF's dogged pursuit of Church officials over the sex abuse scandal. As important as this work is, I believe the group must now turn its attention toward the future. We must now think about the Church not only in terms of preventing further travesties like sex abuse, but about making it a loving, accepting and fair place for everyone, a place that allows everyone to use their capabilities to the utmost. VOTF should not just be about damage control.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to weigh in on your agenda priorities.

Sincerely,
Modest Goddess

Comments:
Agree. I've struggled with this, too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.flickr.com
cinnabuster's photos More of cinnabuster's photos