Friday, March 30, 2007
One of the things women with my condition are told is that they will only get pregnant using donor eggs. I told my mother this. "So your sisters could donate eggs?" she asked, a glint in her eye. "Yes," I said. "But I don't WANT them to." (Could you imagine Christmas? "Well, technically ... Aunt Mabel is your mother. But I gave birth to you. Let's have some eggnogg!")
I should have known that Mom wouldn't be able to resist relaying this nugget of information, however. The next time I talked to Jersey Sister, she said that Mom had just happened to mention the donor egg thing to her. Jersey Sister paused, and I assume she was praying I wouldn't ask her if she minded a doctor sticking a big needle in her ovaries and sucking out their contents.
"Don't worry," I said. "I don't want one of your eggs. Thanks anyway." Mom's version of the story says it was Jersey Sister who offered when Mom told her about donor eggs. Who to believe? But it's not anyone who'd offer to be half of your child, genetically. Props to Jersey Sister!
I've got a giant gift basket of Godiva dark chocolate sitting on my fridge to help me through this difficult time (their "sorry about the premature ovarian failure" package). Props to Maine Sister for keeping me supplied.
I should have known that Mom wouldn't be able to resist relaying this nugget of information, however. The next time I talked to Jersey Sister, she said that Mom had just happened to mention the donor egg thing to her. Jersey Sister paused, and I assume she was praying I wouldn't ask her if she minded a doctor sticking a big needle in her ovaries and sucking out their contents.
"Don't worry," I said. "I don't want one of your eggs. Thanks anyway." Mom's version of the story says it was Jersey Sister who offered when Mom told her about donor eggs. Who to believe? But it's not anyone who'd offer to be half of your child, genetically. Props to Jersey Sister!
I've got a giant gift basket of Godiva dark chocolate sitting on my fridge to help me through this difficult time (their "sorry about the premature ovarian failure" package). Props to Maine Sister for keeping me supplied.