Friday, February 22, 2008
I've come to the end of another saga: my last IVF cycle. Yes, this is it. I am so serious, I'm giving away my remaining medications. To come up with three blastocysts, it took three months and two retrievals. Now, they are on ice, awaiting a new and improved uterine lining. For both cycles, my lining was pathetic, anemic, skinny, a home that any sensible embryo-to-be would laugh at derisively and give the finger.
Big questions loom. These blastocysts are good quality. My RE is going to want to transfer all three of them. But I don't want to risk triplets. Even twins are risky -- how would I keep working and taking care of Little Big Man if I had to be on bed rest for weeks? So I'm hoping to thaw and transfer two this time around. Unless the doc talks me out of it.
And the lining. I'm going to be on massive doses of estrogen and Viagra and terbutaline again, but what if the lining doesn't get to where it's supposed to be? Do I keep trying for months? Do I accept a less-than-optimal environment? Or do I go shopping for an alternate uterus?
But after staying up late to watch my DVR'd "Lost," I know there are now much bigger questions out there. Why does Kate have Claire's baby Aaron? And why are they all lying about what REALLY happened on the island?
Big questions loom. These blastocysts are good quality. My RE is going to want to transfer all three of them. But I don't want to risk triplets. Even twins are risky -- how would I keep working and taking care of Little Big Man if I had to be on bed rest for weeks? So I'm hoping to thaw and transfer two this time around. Unless the doc talks me out of it.
And the lining. I'm going to be on massive doses of estrogen and Viagra and terbutaline again, but what if the lining doesn't get to where it's supposed to be? Do I keep trying for months? Do I accept a less-than-optimal environment? Or do I go shopping for an alternate uterus?
But after staying up late to watch my DVR'd "Lost," I know there are now much bigger questions out there. Why does Kate have Claire's baby Aaron? And why are they all lying about what REALLY happened on the island?