Sunday, March 09, 2008

I had the good luck to see one of my trees snap in half yesterday. Yup, was just sitting there at the kitchen table idly gazing outside at the crummy weather when crack! a big thick limb splintered from the tree and crashed into the juniper bush. I know I'm not truly of the YouTube generation because if I had been, I'd have been sitting there with a video camera waiting for something spectacular to happen so I could post it. As it is, you all just have to rely on me to describe it. And it was cool to see. Trust me.
I'm glad that limb came down too because I've been watching that part of the tree slowly die for years ever since we moved in. The tree-trimming crew we hired a couple of summers ago lopped off several limbs but missed that one. And Little Big Man and his cousin were playing out in that very same backyard before the limb plummeted to earth! Well, they were playing at the sandbox ... 50 feet away. On a different day.
Whenever I have a bad day, I write down whatever cute things Little Big Man has done that week. But his cousin gets props this week for making me laugh. He saw a banana sitting on our table, and he said, amazed, "We have those at our house too!"
To be a child again, and amazed at the ubiquity of bananas.
In other news, Mom's grape arbor also fell down. It is perhaps best known in family lore as the place where Dad decided to have my middle sister, Hoboken Sal, hang upside down to cut her hair. He figured he'd be guaranteed to get a straight line of hair. Turns out it doesn't work that way. There's a reason we don't all hang upside down when we go to the beauty salon. Not even bats get their hair cut that way.


Here's Big Big Man wondering how the heck he's going to rebuild this arbor. And here's the picture Mom wanted me to take of her.
Labels: wind storm
Comments:
<< Home
Thanks, ModGod, both the banana and haircut story made me laugh out loud. I can picture a whole series of odd fill-in-the-blanks for a child hanging from the grape arbor.
But Dad, I don't want to...
A. have my tooth pulled
B. get my hair cut
C. speak Chinese
Post a Comment
But Dad, I don't want to...
A. have my tooth pulled
B. get my hair cut
C. speak Chinese
<< Home
