Sunday, September 14, 2008
Well, it's been a sweet two months of summer since I logged in here, and I'm being mostly honest when I say I used them the way they should have been used, being outside, planting things and then eating them, buying corn on the cob from farm stands and eating them sitting outside on the patio.
Have I mentioned the Weight Watchers? It's made my usual obsession with food all-consuming -- between calculating how many points I have left for the day (right now, none) or week (8), figuring out how much I can eat every day and how long I have to run to burn it off, and the hour or so it takes daily to prep healthy food -- cutting up veggies, etc. -- for myself and the Big Big and Little Big men. And the weight loss -- it's been hard. I was in the vicinity of 133 when I started in July, and now I'm in the vicinity of 124. And have been for several weeks. And I'm even cheating by scheduling my weekly weigh-in AFTER a run, but BEFORE I've had breakfast.
You see? I've become tiresome. All I do now is blurt out "You know how much fat is in that?!" when my husband or sister innocently pick up a container of yogurt or a hamburger.
So let's talk about Little Big Man, who is now old enough to make jokes, but without realizing he's making them. For example:
(In the library)
LBM: What's this?
Me: That's the freight elevator. They use it to move heavy things.
LBM: YOU'RE heavy.
Or this:
(In the car)
LBM: Hate is not a nice word, right?
Me: Right. We don't say we hate people.
LBM: But I can hate yucky things. I can hate a man made of poop.
Have I mentioned the Weight Watchers? It's made my usual obsession with food all-consuming -- between calculating how many points I have left for the day (right now, none) or week (8), figuring out how much I can eat every day and how long I have to run to burn it off, and the hour or so it takes daily to prep healthy food -- cutting up veggies, etc. -- for myself and the Big Big and Little Big men. And the weight loss -- it's been hard. I was in the vicinity of 133 when I started in July, and now I'm in the vicinity of 124. And have been for several weeks. And I'm even cheating by scheduling my weekly weigh-in AFTER a run, but BEFORE I've had breakfast.
You see? I've become tiresome. All I do now is blurt out "You know how much fat is in that?!" when my husband or sister innocently pick up a container of yogurt or a hamburger.
So let's talk about Little Big Man, who is now old enough to make jokes, but without realizing he's making them. For example:
(In the library)
LBM: What's this?
Me: That's the freight elevator. They use it to move heavy things.
LBM: YOU'RE heavy.
Or this:
(In the car)
LBM: Hate is not a nice word, right?
Me: Right. We don't say we hate people.
LBM: But I can hate yucky things. I can hate a man made of poop.